Thursday 15 January 2015

Critical Reflection on Professional Practitioner Inquiry

Studying module 2 has enabled me to learn many new skills. My computing ability has improved by implementing web 2.0 skills. I have also found Facebook particularly useful for this module because it has provided valuable feedback useful to critically analyse my methods and procedures as well as it supporting my progress through this module. Appendix A

My professional Facebook page has in particular been a positive experience, allowing me to network with peers on the course as well as professional colleagues. However I did not find my blogger account as useful, mainly because of difficulties posting blogs. This may be due to being dyslexic causing lack of confidence in using lengthier, more formal writing skills for blogs, compared to the single sentence posts I feel is more acceptable on Facebook. Appendix B

The first section of this module required me to think about questions of interest to me within the workplace as my role as Dance Ambassador for Matthew Bourne’s Lord of the Flies (LOTF). This was a challenge because of the different age groups I was working with and the diverse backgrounds and experience of the students. I knew from that I wanted to target the questions towards male dancers views and attitudes towards dance.

Module 2 has helped me understand the importance of asking open-ended research questions in order to attract interest and obtain unbiased substantiated responses. My original inquiry question was: Can a professional dancer make a good teacher? It was posted on my blog and I was disappointed to find it attracted a nil response. This lack of response made me consider if my inquiry question needed to be more detailed but open ended. I therefore changed the question to:
       “What makes a good dance teacher and what qualities should they have?”   
It was posted on Facebook and resulted in responses both from my peers and others who were interested in sharing their views. I was pleased with this outcome but it did also make me question the research value and popularity of using different types of social media especially when asking people to share opinions publicly.   Appendix C
Module 2 involved a literature research. This was very important in providing credibility with regards to my own points of view, to support emerging theories and opinions. Reading and referring to both published and unpublished work and media files not only provided strong evidence to support my line of inquiry and take a more analytical approach. It also helped me understand how to reference materials using the Harvard method, required for this degree. Appendix D


My role as Dance Ambassador has highlighted the importance of ethics in the work place.Appendix E
As the LOTF project involved a cast under the age of 18 I had to create a photo and filming consent form for all participants. Which had to be translated into Welsh another factor to be considered
It also meant that all participants under the age of 18 would need a chaperone and council permission to have time off school something I was unaware of before investigating ethics for my professional practice in my workplace. Appendix F


After considering various research methods along with discussions with course peers. I carried out a pilot interview involving one of my students. 
The outcome of this interview lead to further questions and resulted in the reason behind the specific line of inquiry selected.
The tools used will involve: Reviewing interview footage, the use of pre/post questionnaires as a means of improving teaching techniques. Observation and evaluation of other dance practitioner’s classes.

To conclude studying module 2 has enabled me to:
Explore the use of asking appropriate questions, which will help contribute towards my professional development in the workplace.
Research literature on my chosen topic to support my views, opinions and help me produce proposals and business plans for future projects.
Highlighted the importance of having an ethics policy for the protection and safety of all staff and students and experiment with different tools for use in my enquiry.

The learning outcomes achieved in this module have helped me prepare and plan for my final line of enquiry in module 3.

Bibliography.
Books.
Buckroyd, J. (2000) The Student Dancer, London: Dance Books Ltd
Websites
Gaustad, S. (2015) in http://danceplus.uk.com/the-role-and-value-of-dance-in-education/


No comments:

Post a Comment